Monday, June 21, 2010

Atlanta - Robert Jr.'s Graduation Party




My neighbor Robert Jr. recently graduated from mechanic's school (and his younger brother Sug from high school) and because I was happy for them, I spoke with their father, Robert Sr., early one morning about contributing some beer for their party. With a 1000 watt smile and a "tha'd be real nice" he seemed to like my idea quite a bit.

So, the evening of the party last friday I came by with a bunch of Budweiser (Jackson Sr.'s favorite brand - Robert Jr. doesn't really even drink). I found that Jackson Sr. and his many offspring were still at the ceremony, so I hung out with the extended Jackson family and friends for a while:




After putting on quite a buzz trying to hold my own with these guys, and trying to keep conversation going, I commented that this small stage in their "courtyard" appeared to be new, and pretty cool:



After which, one dude from the Jackson clan that I see out back every once in a while responds "yeah its new... so when are y'all goin' on?"

I'm like "wait... WHAT!?!?".

With an eyebrow raised he says, "Ole Man Jackson was on his hands and knees all day in the hot sun building this for y'all... man, he looked like he was about to die... what?.... y'all ain't comin'?.... DAMN!"


In a slight panic and laughing to myself nervously, I take this same photo of the stage and text it to my band mates saying, essentially, "be down on Chester and Kirkwood in 45 mins with your instruments, we're playing on this stage for Robert Jr.", assuming they'd all have Friday night plans and each would tell me to fuck off in their own way...

But amazingly, enough guys showed up with their gear, and we played a sparse but a really fun set of music - with just one horn (trombone) and no keys - and the Jackson clan young and old had a blast. Especially these little guys, who could not stop climbing on stage and making a racket (but it was also cute):



Robert Sr. loaded us up with ribs, collard greens, and some other delightful soul food, and, touchingly promised to make little statuettes of each band member if we just give him a photograph (sculpting is his new hobby)!

Another crazy fun night that could only happen in Reynoldstown (and maybe Brixton)!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Great post, Hutch. Looks like fun was had by all.

Sharms said...

I love that story - I would be interested in seeing the statuettes of the band!