Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Globe

This is a historically faithful reconstruction of the Globe Theatre, where Shakespeare's plays were performed during the early 1600s. The reconstucted one is just a few blocks from the original, which burned down in 1613 after a live cannon used in a performace of Henry VII set the thatched roof on fire.

The reconstruction was the life work of Chicago-born actor Sam Wanamaker, who came to Britian fleeing McCarthyism in the 1950s and was surprised to see that only a small plaque commemorated the original Globe. After several decades of pressing the British government, work began on the project, and it was completed in 1997. Its been a huge success ever since.

Last night Jen and I and a few other friends saw a performance of The Merry Wives of Windsor, a comedy first published in 1602. The first act was a bit slow and confusing (the Brits felt this way as well) but the second was jovial and fun. The fact that it was performed in the open air (there is no roof) and with no amplification added to the ambiance. There was also a band on top of the set that played traditional lutes, drums, and other instruments of the Elizabethan period.

Don't you feel smarter now?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for the history lesson.

I noticed that not too many comments have been posted lately. Perhaps you need to have some more gross things for dinner and then you'll hear from people.

To Jennifer: What have you been seeing and doing while Hutch is working?

Hutch said...

I've noticed that as well Kathy and I was hoping something really horrid would be served at the Russian dinner - like Ear of Dissident - but it turned out to be quite conventional in terms of ingrediants. I'll see what I can consume over the weekend!

I'll let Jen answer, but she is generally without internet access unless she pays at a cybercafe, so that's why she hasn't chimed in.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't realize (or should I write it as realise?) that Jennifer wouldn't be able to add a post. I thought you had a laptop at your flat. Not to worry - I'll talk to her when she returns home.

Here it is another weekend - can't wait to see what you have planned.

Robbin said...

Looks like the Brits are really committed to the whole "Renaissance Festival" thing. Awesome. Nothing like middle aged men wearing armor and searching for wenches. I do love a good lute-off.

MsDallie said...

I'm reading!!