Friday, June 6, 2008

My First Gig in London

So, the gig went well. It was a nice, intimate room with tables, sofas and lounge chairs, and we had a decent number of people come out to see us, about 30 I'd guess. Except for a few minor slips, I feel it was a good performance. Our Greek pianist has a large, extended family living in London, and about a dozen of them came. They were all very vocal and supportive.

A decent singer-songwriter had the warm up slot, then a solid but VERY loud hard rock band played and drove many people outside due to their volume and intensity - it wasn't the right venue for them. We had to go on after them around 11pm and try to bring everyone back inside, which we did. The lighting made it very difficult to get good photos of any of the bands - this one is the best taken, and unfortunately David is in the dark. Still, you can get a flavor of the evening. I've never played a gig on a stool, but my strap was not very secure on this bass, so it was best to sit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first gig. Nice to hear it went well and that you enjoyed the experience. Did any of your coworkers attend?

Anonymous said...

Shine on Baby ! Your Maui family is proud of you !

Anonymous said...

Happy 40th birthday,Johnny!
It is so nice that you and Jenn will be together again for your birthday. I am enjoying blurking your Blog and Genesse's Photostream.
Love you both! Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - is today your birthday??? I thought it was the 10th! Hope it's a good one!

ladybird said...

Happy birthday to the Hutchess! We miss you but geeze you are making the most of it.

How do you make like a million friends and play in a band in a whole new country within weeks.

I need some of that magic!

xoxo to you and jen
-andy

Anonymous said...

Hell must of frozen over and I think I just saw a pig fly by ! Linda on the internet, can air travel be far from happening ???? Happy Birthday, I remember the REAL one.That was scary, so glad you thrived and are carpe diems. P.

Hutch said...

Thanks for all the nice sentiments here - very sweet of you all !

Mom, its great that you're on the Internet now... isn't it fun!!

My birthday is actually tomorrow, June 10th, but happy to have heard from you all earlier! I think Jen has something planned after work for me here.

Andy, I think you already have the magic, juggling your demanding job and keeping The Yum Yum Tree so productive! Hope the gig at the Star Bar went well...