Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cycling To Work



After having talked about it since a while I actually cycled to work on two days last week. I had to keep up with John and Jen who have been cycling to work all last week. It worked surprisingly well, it was quicker than taking MARTA and much more fun. Downtown is not very crowded and it feels slightly adventurous cycling through skyscraper canyons. On the parking deck I asked a nice gentleman with a big SUV to take a photo of me. Speaking of SUVs - they are the only thing which bothers me here while cycling. They are so broad that they use all space on the street and it is not possible and mostly not advisable to overtake them because their drivers seem very unaware of anything else that is on the street unless it is on their sight level. Probably it will still take a while until cyclists are recognized as equal traffic participants but the good thing is that every new cyclist can contribute to this process.

2 comments:

jan said...

Nice ride! Again a little bit big for your size, but I guess you're used to that from your old corratec stallion ;)
All the best from the country that has more cycles than citizens,
jan

Sharms said...

Actually Jan - this will soon be my bike, I like it so much that I plan to bring it over to the UK - do you think it is too big for me?