Thursday, April 24, 2008

British Telly

After three weeks I finally turned on the television that sits in the corner of my living room - mainly out of curiousity about whether it would work. Up to that point I had been watching the final season of Arrested Development and various Adult Swim programs on my iphone. Anyway, although most Brits have just 5 channels to choose from, all five are high quality, particularly the 2 BBC channels. My favorite show is "Later with Jools Holland" where bands play live and then chat (or sometimes play) with Jools, who is also a top notch piano player. He picks from all genres and sometimes has a no-name player right after a big star. I can't see it ever happening in the States as its just too random, and frankly too musically adventurous for most Americans.

6 comments:

James said...

Jools Holland was the keyboard player in Squeeze, once upon a time. Also, there's a great series of DVDs featuring various performances from "Later." You can probably find 'em at Criminal Records when you get back to the ATL!

Hutch said...

How, I had no idea - he's such a dapper guy I didn't think he looked like the rocker type, but then squeeze wasn't really a threatening rock band!

Good to know - I'll have to check those DVDs out when I get home (DVDs are not configured the same way in UK)

MsDallie said...

5 channels sounds like more than what we had in the states pre-cable; we've really got the big 3 and some public broadcast stations; can you get cable there? must be able to!

genesse said...

I had a bunch of those DVDs in my amazon.com wish list. Never did buy any though.

sonofjaguare said...

How is the fog there?I hear it gets creepy at night.All those horse drawn carriages and people saying "good day to you sir" and tipping their hats to the ladies is over once the fog rolls in.I hear people close their shutters so as not to attract the chill that comes with the fog.I once had a London Fog jacket.It was my favorite until the neighborhood bully,Paul Pino,hit me over the head with a rubber chicken with a spike in its head.Man,he knew how to throw around a rubber chicken.To this day when I go back to my hometown of Downyfresh,Idaho(pop.1001)I see him walking around with it on.He loves that jacket I guess.After 20 years I guess he would.I would have gotten rid of it anyway when the next year rolled around because I always stayed in fashion....and still do mind you.
Hey if you see any of the blue 3 wheeled invalid cars,take some pictures.I love those cars!Better yet,import me one.....I'll pay ya back.I wanna start a club here where we all drive around in them with our little handicapped rear view mirror thingies and park up front at every store we can think of until everyone of them has a car in them.Take that cripples!

MsDallie said...

Burberry over London Fog- any day!