Monday, April 7, 2008

Over the Weekend

Had quite an interesting time this weekend. I met these psycho-footballers that flew down from Norway to attend the Arsenal- Liverpool game, and they were furious that it ended in a tie. I then got into a rather heated drunken argument with one of them over what was a better game, hockey or soccer. Believe me, they started it! One of the Norwegians agreed with me, but the others did not. The Norwegians generally are not as into hockey as the Swedes or Fins.

Another photo here (I have no idea which order these will show in) is of the unruly protest over the Olympic torch on the steps of St. Paul’s cathedral, which made headlines here in the UK. I had no intention of being at the epicenter of this drama -- I was actually on my way to Tate Modern and decided to get some fish and chips in a nearby pub. Next thing I know every bobby in London seemed to descend on the place, and all these protesters with “Free Tibet” signs were yelling and booing when the torch came by. Someone actually tried using a fire extinguisher on it ! My photo does not capture the real action, which was too cluttered for me to get a good shot at. This is as it was breaking up.

The final photo is of the sing-a-long I came upon last night – as you can see it was an older crowd, but they really got into it, as did everyone else. It happens every Sunday, and next week I’m going to try to get their earlier for a better seat.

That’s it for now…

NOTE: AFTER POSTING I SEE THAT THE PHOTOS DIDN'T UPLOAD - SORRY, I TRIED TO POST MORE THAN ONE AT A TIME, BUT IT DIDN'T WORK. OH WELL, USE YOUR IMAGINATION!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's crazy. Be careful about with whom you get into fights. I'm too far away to get your back.

FYI, protestors have already climbed the golden gate bridge in preparation for protesting as the torch goes by.

Hutch said...

It didn't get physical, but it went on longer and louder than I expected. Kinda like arguing with Matt Chenoweth if he didn't speak English very well (no offense Matt!)

Tamms said...

Bummer. I am so intrigued to see the pictures now.. I can't use my imagination. It is taking the day off.