Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Championship Game

Last night, for the first time ever, two English teams played against each other in the European Championship Cup - Manchester United against Chelsea. The game was played in Moscow and something like 50,000 Brits flew there with tickets in hand. That left millions behind to watch it in the pubs, such as the Sussex Arms, pictured above, which near my flat. The game came down to penalty kicks, and it was quite tense. At one time Chelsea (the team I was pulling for) pulled ahead when Ronaldo's shot was blocked, but then Manchester turned it around and won. The place was split fairly evenly between the two teams: Chelsea is a London team, so there were many supporters, but the other London teams (Arsenal, Tottenham, and probably some others) all hate Chelsea, and there are also lots of Northerners in the area, since its near the train station. The place simply erupted at the end of the game, and this was the best I could do to capture it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like a good place to see a fight break out...
.. or a hockey game

Anonymous said...

Hutch, did we visit this pub? I can feel the energy! Pop

cvp1968 said...

I've been looking at your blog often and just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying it. Sounds like you are having a good time - seems more like you are on a fun vacation rather than working. I'm kind of jealous. By the way I like this photo pretty funny it looks like there is some guy who took off his shirt to celebrate.

Take care,
Chris

Hutch said...

Jesse, odd thing about watching the game (at least in this pub) was that it was fairly tame by American standards until the very end, then all the tension exploded. I expected more chanting and taunting thoughout the game, but it was fairly serious and silent during it. Its a winner take all experience...

Yes Dad, this is the last pub we went to on Sunday night - we sat outside and chatted with those women from Kansas.

Hey Chris - glad you're checking in from time to time. I know it seems like a vacation but I am actually working during the day. I did a blog about it back in April and I was accused of staging the whole thing! I would just be too boring to chronicle my daily work - its not like Law & Order, or LA Law, unfortunately!

Oh, and yes, a bunch of guys tripped of their shirts and started flexing after Manchester won... it was hilarious, and something I thought only Americans and maybe Australians would do.

Anonymous said...

I would have posted before now, but I only just stopped laughing at John Terry crying. Oh no . . can't stop . . . hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.


Robotham