Sunday, May 25, 2008

Country Pub

My Austrialian co-worker Donna and her English husband Ken took me for a nice drive in the country yesterday and we stopped at this pub in Marlow, which is where Mary Shelley wrote Frankinstein, about 25 miles west of London. Ken and I both had the "mixed grill" plate, which included sausage, steak, pork, chips (fries) and "black pudding", which is pig's blood mixed with pig's brains, or something like that. They intentionally (and wisely) didn't tell me what it was until I had some. I can't say I loved it, to be honest, but I didn't hate it either. The whole plate went well with the locally brewed ales we had.

7 comments:

farflung said...

yuck!!

genesse said...

oh, that sounds just awful.

Are you growing a beard? Or is that just weekend shadow?

MsCarrera said...

I think that is worse than the eel spine Phil had in Japan.

Anonymous said...

puke puke yum yum!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are trying the local stuff and better yet you are washing it down with even better stuff. POP

MsDallie said...

sounds like the southern delicacy of blood pudding taken up a notch! do they eat any veggies there? (other than chips)

Hutch said...

Yeah, they do eat veggies here. Traditional dishes always seem to have peas or corn, but they are also way into all the healthy trends we have, at least in London anyway...