Thursday, May 1, 2008

Impressions of Denmark

Well, I'm back in London and about to embark on new adventures here as we have a bank holiday coming up on Monday and thus it should be a big weekend. But I still feel I have not given the Danes their due. They are mostly physically fit, well kept, stylish, and they speak English perfectly. It's humbling. I did not hear or see one grammatical mistake the whole time I was there, other than a few that came from me.

Copenhagen is a very well preserved and beautifully designed city. It's much quieter than London, and has a smaller, cobblestone vibe in the center, shown here. I must say that they really love statues of horse-mounted soldiers!

Of course, they are also very adept at modern architecture with unadorned and clever design concepts, particularly the interiors and functional components. The first thing I noticed in my hotel room was that you couldn't turn any lights on until you placed your key card in a slot - thus there was no way to leave the lights on. Obviously smart from a green perspective, but it's also user friendly because you always know exactly where you key is (an issue for me, I admit). In Turner's office in Lyngby (a northern suburb easily reached by train) with the touch of a button my colleague's desks rise up about a foot or so to counter height enabling a convenient standing meeting (which are more efficient since you're more likely to waste time if you're sitting). It was so cool... maybe you had to be there!

These are just two small examples of an intelligence society that has figured out smart solutions to common challenges. They are also really into American culture - skateboarding, break dancing, graffitti, jazz, blues, and rock music are all practiced here at a high level. I could go on and on, but I think I've made my point.... I like Copenhagen.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds awesome. There are some US hotels thath ave the same key/lights thing too. I can't remember where, but I'm fairly certain its eith the W or Microtel.

sonofjaguare said...

Europe is sooo behind the times compared to us.Sounds like you're a little un-patriotic.

Hutch said...

I've never seen it before, but I've not stayed in either of those hotels, but I'm glad we're adopting the practice, as it makes a lot of sense.

There's no way anyone in the US has the rising desk, so don't even try to tell me otherwise!

You're starting to sound like Joe McCarthy!

sonofjaguare said...

Is Joe you're neighbor?

Anonymous said...

Can't get over how you resemble your Dad, in your photos. It's as tho your poor old Mum had nothing to do in your creation. Fun to travel with you. My Dad lived with a family there during the war, and had life long friends there until he died. I detect English colloquialisms creeping into your speech patterns, remember your neighbor on Lagana Ave.?Ciao for now, from Maui. xo

Hutch said...

Hi Priscilla! My friends back in Atlanta will not accept me back if I come home sounding English! But its possible that speech patterns are creeping in. Certain words like "mate" (used like "dude" or "pal") "fag" (meaning a smoke) and phrases like "mind the gap" and "getting pissed" do sound quite normal to me now!

I do remember my neighbors from Southington - the Gershefski's (spelling may be wrong). If I recall correctly the old man was a GI, and his wife, Phylis, was a cockney from the East End of London. She was so bored with living in Southington, Connecticut that she kinda lost her mind and stopped wearing panties. Is there any truth to this, or is this just in my mind? I don't think I'd make a detail like that up - not with her in mind anyway!

Hutch said...

Oh, and to your point about me looking like my dad - I can't deny it, and its getting even closer over time. He's coming here soon, and I'm sure people will guess we're related.

But I got my mom's voice and tendancy to repeat herself - no offense mom - I cherish these traits!

Anonymous said...

It is true that Phillis who is a displaced Limey often went pantyless ( one would not stare). Her favorite cuss was "You Bloody Sud". She is still around and still pantyless I guess "yeks". Dad

sonofjaguare said...

I wish you were in Glasgow cuz then you would come back with a nice Glaswegian accent and I could just sit and listen to you ramble on like you do but in a sweet,sweet Glasgow accent.

Hutch said...

Good to get confirmatin on that point Pop - the idea that I might have made it up was quite disturbing.

Looking forward to your visit. I've made reservations at a Restaurant in London that opened for business in 1798 and was a favorite of Charles Dickens. The next day we are off to the city of Bath where Roman spas are still in use. Should be fun!

MsDallie said...

That exchange was hilarious! (Back to other subject, I've had the key-required hotel room. It's not so great when the AC is off all day while you're gone from the room and it's 90 degrees out- fahrenheit in case you really are turning Brit.)