Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Savannah In Spring



While neglecting my blog I have worked on my ATL to do list which Hutch has developed for my stay under cooperation with Tamera. On the weekend we drove all the way to Savannah which is said to be one of the nicest towns in Georgia. Going to Savannah by car takes four hours. The drive is not very interesting, everything looks the same all the time. This gave me an idea about the distances in the US: in Germany the landscape would change massively on a four hour drive. Savannah is a quiet small town with many old buildings from the 18-19th century (my guess). It looks like a weired mixture between a clean version of England and a Northern Italian town. As it was the weekend before St. Patricks Day the riverside was full of people and it was very touristy but while walking away from the river it became quiet and very nice. As I always have to find something to complain about: it was very cold for spring and in expectation of a warm spring weekend I had left my mittens back in ATL. BIG mistake! By incident we found a very nice alternative cafe, the sentient bean (http://www.sentientbean.com/) which also caters for vegans. Right next to it was an organic shop so soon I was happy again.

4 comments:

Hutch said...

I'm glad you've got your blogging groove back Sharms!

The statute in this photo, called Bird Girl, is very well-known, and was featured on the front cover of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which is set in Savannah and was so popular its been given credit for Savannah's revitalization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_in_the_Garden_of_Good_and_Evil

genesse said...

Not to be confused with Bird Girl, from Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.

Anonymous said...

Not to be confused with Bad Girl aka Sharms.

Tamms said...

Oh I love Savannah - I am sorry you had to be there when it was cold and during the Patty's Day insanity. It is just perfect when it is all hot and muggy... with the Spanish moss dripping and the slow, leisurely pace - drinking sweet tea....